top of page
You are still invited to come to the MindUp with your child until he/she is 5 years old!
- Put a picture of the child where he/she is moving (for ex. dancing, cycling, playing with a ball), the length of the child, how many times the parents visited the MindUp in the HMF first 1,000 days album. Also, the album can be printed at the MindUp! -
Day 1,000: 24 months old
In case of concerns or difficulties after giving birth or breastfeeding, or concerning the health of the baby, a mother should always see a health professional at the local health center!
Your child turned 2 years, congratulations!!!
First 1,000 days and the prevention of stunting:
- The first 1,000 days covers the period of 9 months pregnancy + first 24 months of life
- During this period children grow at very high speed: they triple their weight, almost double their height, and their brain makes millions of connections
- This period is crucial for helping children to reach their full potential
- Even before birth, the fetus is at risk if the mother lacks essential nutrients needed for the brain, bone, and organ development of the baby
Note: Most stunting (low height-for-age) happens in this critical period and is almost always irreversible!
Growth monitoring and promotion is very important:
- Measuring the height and weight of a child regularly is important to make sure the child grows and develops well
- The weight and height of a child can be seen and measured, but the most important growth of the brain cannot be seen, however, if we see that a child grows well in height, we can assume that the brain also is developing well
Note: The child's weight should be measured monthly and the height every 3 months at the local health center or MindUp. After two years, the weight and height should be measured every 6 months until the child is 5 years old.
Your child should get a vitamin A capsule at 24 months of age:
Vitamin A helps to protect the child against illness and infection and helps to prevent night blindness.
Continue to breastfeed whenever the child is hungry!
Note: If you are experiencing any problems with breastfeeding, it is good to discuss this with a MUM or a health care professional.
Responsive feeding and caring:
It is very important to respond to the baby’s cues for feeding and comfort in order for the child to develop well and reach its full potential.
You should eat the following in the period that you are breastfeeding:
- Continue to eat a few extra healthy snacks a day while breastfeeding
- Drink plenty of water (2 Liters a day) and juice
- Eat a healthy and diverse diet
- There are no special foods required to produce an adequate amount of breastmilk, the baby will make sure there is enough produced by drinking often
Continue complementary feeding:
- At 6 months of age, breastmilk alone is no longer enough to meet the nutritional requirements of the baby, other foods and liquids are needed along with breastmilk
- Complementary feeding is the transition between exclusive breastfeeding and family foods
- Complementary feeding covers the period from 6-24 months of age, even though breastfeeding may continue to two years of age and beyond
Note: Solid foods are the most important nutrition source at this age and breastmilk is almost not needed anymore!
- Eating skills: Uses a spoon increasingly well, stabs food with a fork, begins chewing fibrous pieces, swallows foods easily with lip closure.
- Brain & Cognitive Development: Sorts objects into simple categories, augmenting vocabulary, can clearly communicate needs, increased attention span.
- Emotional Development: Develops clear and consistent personality, begins to anticipate consequences.
- Physical Changes: Walks backward, runs well.
- Physiological Changes: Lower 2nd molars appear, adult flora established, brain growth 80% complete.
Growth Monitoring and Promotion:
Messages related to the outcome of the length mat / growth curve
At 24 months of age, your child's height is measured at the local health center or MindUp. The child will be measured with the help of a length mat and the height will be plotted (automatically) in a growth curve.
According to the length mat/growth curve, your child's height is in the following zone:
(Click on a button to get extra key messages)
at 22-24 months of age
Recommended texture and frequency at 22-24 months of age:
family foods - 3 meals a day (bigger bowl) + 1-2 healthy snacks
Video - complementary foods
at 12-24 months of age
Video - complementary foods
from family foods
bottom of page